Philosophy and Goals
The University of Toyama will uphold a global standard of education and research integrated with life sciences, natural sciences and arts, and social sciences open to the regional community and to the world.
The university will nurture our students with a strong sense of mission and creativity based on the respect for human dignity. We will make contributions to the local, regional and international community, and will promote the harmonious development of science, art and culture, society and the natural environment.
Ⅰ. Education: training students to be creative and to have a strong sense of mission
In addition to respecting the individuality of students and building their characters, the University of Toyama provides instruction in broadly based knowledge and in-depth specialized studies. In so doing, we aim to become a comprehensive university that prepares our graduates to be creative and to have a strong sense of mission
- In order to encourage students' independent study initiatives, respond to various learning needs, and assure high-quality education, we will enhance our educational environment and improve our educational system.
- In our undergraduate programs, we will enhance our liberal arts education and professional education courses, and develop well-rounded creative students capable of contributing to the knowledge-based global community,keeping pace with the growing importance of new knowledge,information and technology.
- In our graduate programs, we will further systematize and improve the level of professional education, and develop students capable of taking on and solving the various problems of the 21st century.
Ⅱ. Research: sharing advanced research with the region and the world
In addition to emphasizing fundamental research, the University of Toyama will seek solutions to various problems of the modern community. By promoting interdisciplinary research, we aim to share advanced research with the region and the world.
- We will value fundamental research and promote the development of scholarship, and promote applied research.
- We will maintain a healthy and competitive research environment, and build a basis for world-class research.
- We will actively seek out embryonic research and support its development.
- We will promote research that takes advantage of our region's characteristics, and use the fruits of the research for the development of the local and international community.
Ⅲ. Social contribution: contributing to the region and the international community
The University of Toyama will use its advantage as a comprehensive university to tackle various problems in the local community, as well as global problems. In so doing, we aim to become a comprehensive university that contributes to the region and the international community.
- In addition to contributing to the development of education and culture in our local community, we will seek to play a leading role in regional revitalization.
- We will take advantage of the region's characteristics as an industrial zone to promote the vitalization of local industry through cooperation among industry, government and academia.
- As a core medical institution in the region, the university's hospital will continue providing high-quality healthcare in the future.
- In addition to promoting international contributions and exchange among universities, we will address important issues related to the modern community.
Ⅳ. Operations: university management with a high degree of transparency
In order to actively promote education, research, and community service, the University of Toyama aims to become a university with a high degree of transparency which is open to society.
- With a keen awareness of being a national university with a public mandate, we will operate efficiently and be accountable to society
- Our organization and its members will carry out self-evaluations, and boldly promote reform and improvement in response to the demands of the times and society.
- We will reflect opinions and evaluations from both inside and outside the university in our operations, and make effective use of the university's resources.
- In addition to actively releasing research results to the public and working on environmental problems, we will create a work environment that enables all of our members to use their skills to the fullest.