The University of Toyama will uphold a global standard of education and research integrated with the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and life sciences open to the regional community and to the world. The university will nurture our students with a strong sense of mission and creativity based on the respect for human dignity. We will make contributions to the local, regional and international community, and will promote the harmonious development of science, art and culture, society and the natural environment.
Ⅰ. Education: training students to be creative and to have a strong sense of mission
In addition to respecting the individuality of students and building their characters, the University of Toyama fosters ethics and provides instruction in broadly based knowledge and in-depth specialized studies. In so doing, we aim to become a comprehensive university that prepares our graduates to be highly creative and to have a sense of mission.
- In order to encourage students’ independent study initiatives, respond to various learning needs, and assure high-quality education, we will enhance our educational environment, improve our educational system, and constantly enrich the teaching abilities of our faculty.
- In our undergraduate programs, we will enhance our liberal arts education and professional education courses, and develop well-rounded creative students capable of contributing to the knowledge-based global community.
- In our graduate programs, we will further systematize and improve the level of professional education, and develop students capable of taking on and solving the various problems of today.
Ⅱ. Research: sharing advanced research with the region and the world
In addition to emphasizing scholarship development and fundamental research, the University of Toyama will seek solutions to various problems of the modern community by promoting interdisciplinary research. Additionally, as we enhance fundamental research, we aim to become a comprehensive university that shares advanced research with the region and the world.
- We will value fundamental research and promote the development of scholarship, and promote the creation of innovations that have the potential to lead to social change and solutions to problems on the regional and global scale.
- We will maintain a healthy and competitive research environment, and build a basis for world-class research.
- We will promote world-class research projects as well as contribute to the sustainable development of the world by giving back to the community via this research. We will also actively seek out new and fundamental research and support their development.
Ⅲ. Social contribution: contributing to the region and the international community
The University of Toyama will use its advantage as a comprehensive university to tackle various problems in the local community, as well as global problems. We aim to become a comprehensive university that contributes to the region and the international community.
- In addition to contributing to the development of education, art, and culture in our local community, we will seek to play a leading role in regional restoration.
- We will take advantage of the region’s characteristics to promote the vitalization of local industry through cooperation among industry, government and academia.
- As a core medical institution in the region, the university’s hospital will provide comprehensive, specialized, high-quality healthcare and lead comprehensive healthcare in the region.
- In addition to promoting international contributions and exchange among universities, we will address important issues related to the modern community including environmental issues.
Ⅳ. Operations: university management with a high degree of transparency
In order to actively promote education, research, and community service, the University of Toyama aims to become a university with a high degree of transparency that is open to society.
- With a keen awareness of being a national university with a public mandate, we will operate efficiently and be accountable to society.
- We will reflect opinions and evaluations from both inside and outside the university in our operations, and make effective use of the university’s resources, including human resources, funds, facilities, and equipment.
- Our organization and its members will carry out self-evaluations, and boldly promote reform and improvement in response to the demands of the times and society.
- While striving to safeguard personal information, we will actively release research results to the public and create a work environment that enables all of our members to use their skills to the fullest.